Sunday, January 13, 2019

Boyz 2 Men

Last Wednesday, January 9th, I made it out fishing with my buddy Justin.  Like all great adventures this one started out with a plan.



When we planned on fishing the week before I thought that the January heat wave we've been having would still be in full effect.  Unfortunately the cold returned on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.  
 I spent some time thinking about what creek we would try to fish on Wednesday.  I settled on a small Brook Trout creek with some good spring influence that flowed down an eastern slope.  I figured the morning sun would have time to warm the water all morning and then shine on us the whole time we fished.

Over the course of the last couple years I really pay attention to small details when choosing where I will fish on any given day.  I feel that it's one of the great benefits that comes from years of experience.

The creek had some pretty good ice when we arrived sometime between 10 and 11 am.  So much ice that it was pretty much unfishable.  I remembered that there was some springs located upstream and suggested that we fish closer to the springs where the water flows out of the ground at 54 degrees.

 Justin surveyed the stream upon our arrival.

The upstream section was free of ice so we began to fish.
I started out with a size 12 Czech Nymph.  I like it because it gets deep in a hurry and I could see the fish hanging out on the bottom of the deeper holes. 

It wasn't long before I was on the board. 


Damn I'm good.


At first my hands were really cold but after a while of catching fish after fish I started to warm up and forget about the cold.  I love it when that happens.


 I was so happy.

So much life on the stream bed all throughout the winter.

Justin was having fun and catching fish too.  He was using a two nymph rig.

Often time I just sit back and watch Justin fish.  His casts are very graceful.
 Another Brookie for the Justinater.
 Justin caught this bad boy using a size 10 streamer.  It even had a little bit of a kype.
 We walked upstream past where the springs were and started to notice some ice again.  Time to turn around and call it a day.

On the way home we stopped at DQ and we each ordered a large soft serve cone.  

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Good stuff. I’d like to place a request for more Mr Misty drive-thru vids, tho.

Popular Posts