Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Fishing Buddies


There are friends and there are fishing buddies.  You should choose your friends wisely but you should choose your fishing buddies even wislier.  Taylor is one of those guys that I can bring to my secret spots and trust that he's not going to spill the beans.  I mean maybe he'll bring his girlfriend and a buddy there at some point but he'll eventually tell me how they did. 

Today we visited one of those secret stretches.  The kind of place you visit when you're looking to put a big fish up on The Gram.  The Gram is short for Instagram for all you Boomers out there. 
I will never stop being fascinated with ice shelves.  This ice shelf is a double decker!  I thought they only had those in Europe.  
Boy was I wrong.
I usually throw streamers in big fish country and today was no different.  I did throw on a Pink Squirrel for a bit but I kept on catching little trout.  Ain't nobody got time for little trout.

When I don't have time for little trout I usually start with an Olive Woolly Bugger.  Throw some rubber legs on that bitch and you have yourself a fish catching machine.  When I reviewed my fishing journals from the last 16 years in December I calculated that 37% of all the trout I've ever caught have been on an Olive Bugger.  Usually size 2 but sometimes a size 4.  On top of that 56% of all the trout I've ever caught over 15 inches have been on an Olive Bugger.  

It had been a while since I fished this stretch and I forgot which bends were deep.  I would cast up into a spot for a bit and not catch anything.  Afterwards when I walked through it I noticed it was way too shallow to hold fish.
Taylor and I are pretty good at taking turns leading the way.  I would try to stay out of his back cast when he was fishing and he did a pretty good job staying out of mine. 
We both enjoy having fun with the .5 setting on our Iphone cameras.  It basically turns your Iphones camera into a fisheye lens.


I don't know if anyone's ever taken a photo of me rerigging.

It reminds me of this bronze statue in downtown Sheridan, Wyoming that my brother photographed me by in 2016.


Oh yes!  The point five strikes again!

Well we never got the big one today and I don't think either one of us even cared.  Always nice to go fishing with a good friend.  


This blog post brought to you by Spraungel Performance Marine.

From basic trolling motor installs, to rewiring existing setups, to custom graph mounts and more they are here for all your electronics needs. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eddie, I’m seeing your blog for the first time. I appreciative of your blog, as it conveys your joy of both fly fishing and family. Your comments about Taylor are endearing. Secrets fishing holes, trusting your son, celebrating his manhood…WOW. Fishing is so much than fish.

Popular Posts