Sunday, January 24, 2016

Rush River 1/24/16

Well I hadn't planned on fishing this weekend but sometimes when the weather is perfect you just have to live a little.



I met Aaron in River Falls at 8:00 and informed him of my plan to fish the Rush River.  I didn't do extremely well on the Rush last summer and felt that I had a score to settle.  When we drove up to my secret spot we were relieved to see that we were the first ones there.  Within two minutes another guy showed up and parked behind us.  After a few minutes of small talk I agreed to give the guy GPS coordinates to all of Nick Brevitz's favorite spots in exchange for him agreeing to fish downstream of the bridge.  My plan was to fish upstream.

I started out fishing a shallow run and advised Aaron to fish the run above me.  He caught a small Brown Trout on his first cast.  I told him about the time my dad landed 20 trout in that run using a Shop Vac Midge.
 I looked back towards the bridge and thought about the guy that went downstream.  I wondered if he was a fan of my blog.  He sure seemed star struck when we were talking to him earlier.
 Sometime when I have trouble with my casting I look down at my shadow.  At least I can cast a shadow.
 I had thought I had seen every type of ice shelf.  These were some really cool and unique ice shelves.
 I wondered how this one formed.  One layer for each Ice Age I suppose.
 Raccoon tracks.
 Fox tracks.
 First fish of the day was a Brook Trout.  They are so pretty.
 I love winter scenery.
 If you ever look into taking better photos you will probably read about the "Rule of Thirds".  This photo is a pretty good example of that.
Here I am casting.
 First Brown trout.  He was quite a little fighter.
 Second Brown Trout was nice too.  Long and skinny.
 A little while later I caught another one that was quite large.  I didn't measure it but it was probably pushing 18".
 I was so happy.
I've heard it's a good idea to check the temperature of the water.  I think my thermometer is broken though.
 Another Brook Trout,
 Aaron came running up with a Brown Trout he had caught.  I was in the zone so I hadn't heard his yelling.  He was so happy.
 It puked up a Sculpin and some other minnow.  If you know what the other minnow is please comment below.
 So beautiful.
 Another one for Aaron.  Check out Aaron's Timberwolves hat he gave himself for Christmas. Go Wolves!!  #FireSam
 Hashtag No Filter.

 Aaron was so happy.
 Catch and release baby!
Towards the end of our outing I caught a chunky 12 inch Brown.  He was quite the fighter.
It will probably be a while before I fish again.  I'm glad today was a smashing success.

No comments:

Popular Posts