Sunday, January 31, 2016

Indian Winter 2: Anglers United

Unseasonably warm January weather was about all it took for me to dust off my fly rod and make it out fishing today.  I was joined by my friend Toby Halley.

Toby took the trout fishing world by storm in the summer of 2015 with an Instagram page for the ages.  While the two of us could have easily become bitter rivals in the annual "King of the Driftless Competition" we decided to join forces and conquer the Driftless together.  After all I have found that it gets lonely at the top.  At least that's what I've heard.

I started out the day with a Brown Woolly Bugger that I recently tied up.  After a few casts of no fish I switched to something else.  Someday I will give the Browny another chance.
 It wasn't long before Toby was on the board with a bruiser.
 Not a bad way to start the day.
 Contrary to popular belief trout will chase streamers all winter long.  This little guy had a mouthful.
 Another one for Toby.  It's nice when you take somebody to your spot and they catch fish.  I could tell by watching Toby fish that his success is no accident.  This guy can cast with precision and strip with decision.
 Then this happened.  He measured in at 20.5 inches.  While Toby is no stranger to hoisting trophy trout, him and I agree that it never gets old no matter how many you catch.
 I hadn't caught any myself at this point and I was starting to worry that Toby would think I was a fraud and then I landed this little guy.  I was so happy.
 I wasn't about to tell Toby all my secrets but I did tell him about the trick where if you hold the fish closer to the camera it looks a little bigger than it actually is.
 Time for the daily ice formation Rorschach Test.  What do you see here?  Do you see what I see?

I recently decided to set up my own Instagram Page.  It contains most of my best photos to date.  I hope to add some more soon.  Here is the link Eddie's Awesome Instagram Photos.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Toby caught a big 'ol trout! Well done.

Unknown said...

Awesome catches!

Popular Posts