Sunday, March 13, 2016

A Winston Man

"Since the very first moment that silver spoon touched my lips I knew that I would some day grow up to be a Winston Man."

One evening last December I received a phone call.  The desperate voice on the other end of the line was asking me if I would like to get rid of the Vexilar unit he sold me last winter.  He explained to me that he was low on cash but was willing to offer me his 3 weight Winston GVX Select fly rod in trade.  I was online already so I quickly googled to check the value of the fly rod.  "Sure sounds like a deal", I replied as I am always willing to help a friend in need.

The rod has sat in the back of my closet ever since.  Today I decided to try it out.

Looking over it I noticed that I must have never taught Taylor the value of a nail knot as there was still a loopty loo connecting the leader and fly line.  
 It was time for a new leader.  Good thing I had this 7X leader sitting in my tackle bag from 5 years ago.  Us Winston Men we like our aged leaders.  I prefer to let a leader age at least 3 years before attaching it to my fly line.  Maybe two years is good enough if it is stored in the sunlight.
 Once you go nail knot you will never go back to the loopty loo.  Trust me on this one.  Take the leap.
Perfect nail knot every time with the tool.
Looks like a nice place to start fishing for the day.  Winston Men choose their creeks wisely and are highly secretive.  If you ask a Winston Man where he fishes he will likely lie and send you on a wild goose chase.

Upon arrival to the stream it was time to get a temperature reading.  Winston Men always check the temperature before starting to fish.  Eddie Rivard Fly Fishing has been working closely with Turnigy Power Systems out of Sandusky Ohio to develop a highly water resistant infrared thermometer.  We are in the final stages of product development. 
 Forty Five degrees.  It looks like it's going to be a good day.

After making my first few casts with the Winston I knew how King Arthur must have felt the first time he held Excalibur.  This rod was meant for me.  I was indeed a Winston Man.  Then I caught a Chub.
 And then a surprise Brookie.  I didn't know there were Brookies here.
 I was so happy.
 Then I had a bigger fish on.  Fighting a 10 inch stocker Rainbow on a 3 weight rod with 7x tippet is quite the experience.  It filled up my senses like a night in the forest.

 Look at me with my Rainbow.  Winston Men will let you know when they are happy.
 Then another Brook Trout on the black Woolly Bugger.

 There was still some evidence of the last Ice Age here.
 Then I made my way over to Crystal Cress Creek.  Home of Crystal Clear Water and tons of watercress.
 I love this little gem.
 While John Bethke invented the Pink Squirrel I may have been one of the first to tie it on a size 4 B10S stinger hook.  I originally tied this pattern as somewhat of a joke but have always done well with it.
 The most beautiful Brook Trout of my life.  Crystal Cress Creek produces the most beautiful Brook Trout because they eat the Scuds that live in the watercress.
 Winston Men always photograph their fish by the water.  It is the Winston Way.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That brookie! The colors are amazing! Great post Eddie! Thanks for sharing as always.

Eddie Rivard said...

Thanks Xeev!

Unknown said...

Do Winston Men always wear fancy white button down dress shirts on the river? Beautiful brookie and awesome post!

Eddie Rivard said...

Of course they do. It's the Winston Way.

cofisher said...

I'm still laughing Eddie, but those beauties are nothing to laugh at. The Orvis guy has nothing on the Winston guy

Eddie Rivard said...

Thanks Howard :) the Orvis guy is the bottom rung below the Sage, Saint Croix, Scott and Redington Men.

Fading Angler said...

Eddie, I fell in love with a brookie's blue halos when I was four years old, pulling them out of little creeks and lakes in the mountains of Wyoming. But you're completely right: that's the most beautiful brook trout I've ever seen.

And a nice hat.

Eddie Rivard said...

Thanks Fading Angler, I was hoping that somebody would notice and compliment the hat. I don't break out the fedoras very often but will probably be doing it a little more in credence with the Winston Way of doing things.
-Eddie

Popular Posts